Turbulence and Turbomachinary
The course objectives are to give students a good idea of the specific problems associated with internal flows in turbo machinery. In particular, the main aim is to distinguish the effects of turbulence from those of rotor/stator interactions.
- General Presentation of Turbo Machines and their fields of application.
- Thermodynamic approach: global energy balance, isentropic et polytropic efficiency.
- Dimensional analysis (compressible and incompressible).
- 1D approach for conception and performance analysis: momentum budget for a tube of current; caracteristics of blade rows; radial equilibrium; mechanism at the origin of 3D secondary flows.
- StarCCM+ practice: emphasis of rotor/stator interactions, secondary flows and associated losses.